I am on a mission to get ready for NEXT school year before this one ends. I really, really want to enjoy as much of my summer with my baby girl as possible. To do that, I need to get my act together!
Now, what does my fiscal irresponsibility and preparing for the 2012-2013 school year have in common? I went shopping for next year! Yay me!
Now please keep in mind that I am TOTALLY stoked to be teaching second this year and felt I needed to "freshen things up" since the last time I was in second grade (holy cow- was that 4 years ago?!?!!). I also had my little 19 month old girl shopping with me. Bright, colorful packages and fun looking toys= a very grabby toddler.
So I grabbed everything quickly and piled it on my stroller and went to town. Somehow Kinley ended up with a new CD of music and finger plays and three wooden peg puzzles. It it a sickness, I tell you!
So what did I get? Some Poppin' Dots, baby. This is my FAVORITE print or pattern. I tend to stick to simple patterns or plain boarders to avoid distractions, but this stuff was too cute!
- Poppin' Dots calendar set (but I don't like the yellow as much so I may not keep this. I can't decide)
- Tree bulletin board set ( we will put this up when we study the seasons and then in the spring with life cycles we will make caterpillars, cocoons and butterflies to display on the tree)
- number line (need one badly)
- Poppin' Dots border
- Poppin' Dots name plates ( for labeling things- not for desk name tags)
- Poppin' Dots name tags (again, for labeling)
- Poppin' Dots chart- you know the one that is like a table/ checklist (I have no idea what I will use this for- but I know I will somehow!)
- Poppin' Dots frames (I put where we are in the building like PE, Recess, Library, etc on a ring and hand it from a 3m hook outside the classroom door so people can find us. I will write the place on the cutie frame!
- Black and white polka dot border
- Welcome to ___ Grade! sign ( for the door display)
- Black border ( I just like it)
- Reference name plates with the number line and so on for the student's desks.
- Library pockets (I will make a poster with the pockets for out behavior system
- birthday cupcakes to display birthdays ( these were TOO cute!)
See? No self control- but I love it all!
A few weeks ago I bought some twin flat sheets at Wal-Mart in a coral color and a turquoise color. I am hoping it matches with the borders. I think it will.
My plan is to go ahead and laminate everything and start cutting it out. That way I can go ahead and put up all my bulletin boards (3) before I leave for the summer. I will cover them up with a sheet to keep dust off.
Melissa Freshwater displayed this organization system and I am in LOVE! I think I will buy a few bins and then label them with the Poppin' Dots name plates. Gah. And her new supply labels? Decisions, decisions. Hand write on my cute frames or print hers out? I wish all decisions were this fun!!!!!!
I noticed this fantastic piece of furniture on someones blog, but I can't remember who it was!!! It is $40 at Ikea.
I want to buy these buckets ($3 each)
and store my math manipulative in each bucket or maybe centers- I can't decide. Then I am going to make a pillow to go on top since It is less than 22 inches tall and make a bench for students to sit and read on. If I can get my hubby to put it together for me and bring it to school, I can go ahead and sort my math manipulatives into it and add my super cute new labels from above!
And my really BIG purchase for next school year will be a new rug. I will keep my old rug because I like to have two meeting areas (one in front of the Promethan Board and the other by my easel). I am still deciding what I want, but I know it will be a hefty price and I am ok with that. I am teaching a four day summer camp to model a Common Core classroom for teachers to observe at the end of June. Part of the money I earn will apply toward the rug. Because I am teaching at the end of June, my room will have to be cleaned early and I get paid to set up my room for 5 hours before the camp starts. Yes, really! I am so excited! My goal is to get my classroom as ready as possible before I leave and then do the finishing touches on that day in June. If I play my cards right, I can have my classroom done and set up by the end of the four day camp. Wouldn't that be awesome?!
So in closing, I may be broke, but I will be happy! :)
Don't forget to comment for my Their, They're There packet. I will be announcing TWO winners on Monday!